Article of the month October
Baby Showers For Twins! Top gift Ideas, Theme Ideas, Where To Shop, Register & More!
Yesterday, I got the idea to write about baby showers for twins. I personally didn’t get one, as it was far from my 1st, or even second child *WAH*. I still wanted one, because I believe multiples are entirely a whole new & different ball of wax, and even if you did save 1 thing from your last, there is a second baby involved, so it’s quite expensive.
I figured next best thing to having had my own, is to discuss it, and get my jollies from your amazing twin shower experience. (As if *Smile*). And share some great gift ideas, places to register, party themes, and resources for the friend’s and family, of a woman expecting multiple blessings! I do have twins, so some gift ideas, and absolute necessities, are quite easy for me to share.
TOP 10 GIFT IDEAS FOR THE SOON-2-BE, MOM OF TWINS
(More great gifts to consider for the new mom also in this article, but these are top 10 in my book).
1) Diapers, diapers, and more diapers! (Did I mention diapers?) It may seem like a not-so-fun gift, but trust me, they are needed, more then you can imagine.
You can’t go wrong here, and too much, is never enough, so any twin mommy to be, will appreciate some newborn sized, and size 1 diapers, to start her on her way. Soft baby wipes in bulk, are a great gift idea as well.
*IMPORTANT– (NEVER BUY FORMULA FOR BOTTLE FEEDING MAMAS! YOU CANNOT PREDICT WHICH KIND THE BABIES WILL END UP ON, UNFORTUNATELY).*
2) Baby bouncers! I have 4 of these (2 upstairs and 2 downstairs). They are the biggest necessity to any mom, including a mom of twins. Think about comfort, and activities. Many have vibration, but not much in the ways of toys, and some are not cozy enough for small newborns, so you got to weigh the options, to find the perfect pick, PLUS I also recommend two different types of bouncers (Ones that recline, for newborns & sit up more for infants), but have different music, and toys as features, maybe even 1 that lights up), to give the babies some variety, instead of the same exact item.
3) Boppy pillows. A nice boppy pillow, with a soft, washable cover, is a great gift for mama. These will be used A LOT, in the early months for feedings, and comfortable, ‘Hanging out’ time, and later they are great for tummy time, and aiding baby in sitting up, to build muscle strength, for the tasks ahead. Definitely a must have. 2 of these. I highly recommend the Heirloom lady bug pillow. I bought two & they were well worth the price in my opinion, and are soft and as pretty, as could be!
4) Baby bottles. Moms of multiples will need a ton of these, unless they want to be glued to the kitchen sink, washing and preparing the same 5 bottles over and over.
If she could have enough for 24 hours or even more (I recommend at least 20 bottles. 30 is terrific, of course one person will not be buying them all), but every little bit helps, so find out which bottles your friend intends to use.
*Note– If it’s a first time mom, or you know a particular bottle they like is junk, go for a different item, and share your knowledge with them. A good bottle is very important, and price does NOT mean better, where bottles are concerned*
Definitely pick up a nice pack, of thick, absorbent bibs to go along with them. A mom will never get enough bibs, especially x’s two!
5) Onesies. (A few snap side shirts, w/ long sleeves are also nice). Multiples will spend a lot of their time in comfortable, easy to use, and change, onesies. Mom won’t ever get enough of these, so be sure and pick some up for her. You can buy a package in 0-3 months, 3-6, and 6-9 months. Never buy newborn sizes, as some twin babies can surprise you, and you can’t predict their future weight, so stay away from buying preemie or newborn clothes for twins even.
6) Cute matching outfits. YES, there will be times where friends and family will come, or the babies will go out, and onesies just won’t do. Cute little matching outfits are always nice to any mom of twins, and simply fun to shop for, but again take note, buy UP in size. Chances are mom and dad have already purchased a lot of new baby clothing items themselves, and aren’t planning too far ahead, and would appreciate that more so, if you did, so go up, 6-9 months, even 12, but don’t go past 12 months, that just seems TOO far off. I got a 3T gift from a relative, that is collecting dust for the next couple of years, and taking up space, so don’t go passed 12 months, even 3-6 or 6-9 would be best!
*If the sexes of the babies are unknown, go with neutral colors, like green, yellow, even a bit of red, brown. No pinks or blue, unless the genders have been confirmed.*
7) Pregnancy pillow If she isn’t too close to delivery, that special mom to be, might really appreciate a soft and cozy pregnancy pillow. With my 1st pregnancy I had the snoogle from babies r us, which was fabulous. Then this time I got a Today’s mom pillow, and it was huge, plush, a full circle around me, even my husband I caught sleeping in it, and I still adore it. It was only a few dollars more, and I loved it, so it’s a fabulous idea, if the mom has some time left. If she is 36 weeks with twins, forget the pillow 😀
8) Bath essentials. I wanted to buy two baby bathtubs, thinking, I would be bathing them at the same time (YEAH RIGHT!) Never happened, it would have been a waste, so ONE baby tub will do. I have the economical, Summer Infant Mother’s Touch Deluxe Baby Bather, and I LOVE IT! Soon we’ll be moving on to a bigger girl seat kind, but for the first 6 or more months, it’s a find.
Washcloths (never too many), Johnsons’ and Johnson’s baby wash, lavender lotion, which helps babies sleep better (It’s true, and my babies get zonked after a bath with that lotion). Hooded towels (Spend the extra few dollars PLEASE! Buy Carter’s, don’t buy Gerber, they are thin, absorb nothing, and flat out, suck!).
9) Impractical, but adorable twin gifts to remember, can be pricey, not always really NEEDED, but sure are cute and fun though! ‘Double Trouble’ screen printed onesies. Twin photo frames, baby books, (That’s an essential), T-shirts, (Thing 1 Thing 2, etc. etc.)
Personalized gifts are terrific and adorable, IF names are known. Twin photo albulm, and personalized blankets, bibs, and other memorable items, are always appreciated, if, like I said, the baby names are known.
10) Gifts for the mom to be. A SQUEEM BELLY BINDER, she will appreciate, after birthing twins, more than you could ever know, to get back her pre-pregnancy shape, and feel like one hot mama again. That she will love, along with other stuff, such as….
A scrap-booking kit, nursing gown for the hospital, Mustela skin care products, in a basket, a coupon for a day of beauty, before or after the baby is born, or even just a massage, or manicure/pedicure combo, an offer for babysitting help, (and again, only if she’s got a ways to go), a funny two peas in my pod, or I got double trouble, etc. Maternity T-Shirt, to show off her preggo belly.
The possibilities are endless!
Other Great Gift Ideas, Not On The Top 10, But Still Usable Right From The Start
Portable baby swings.
A new twin mom’s home will be cluttered enough, so travel swings are the perfect size to conserve on space, save a bit of money, and be able to move from room to room. (A multiples home can look much like a day care, so less bulky is best!)
for both babies, so both babies can eat at the same time.
to help prevent SIDS, and help keep baby warm.
Swaddlers (Swaddling blankets),
to keep the new babies feeling safe, secure, & in a womb like environment, for sleep. Miracle blankets are awesome!
Sun hats in the summer, buntings and snow hats,
for the winter.
A large tub of desitin to prevent diaper rash.
A baby care kit,
containing a brush and/or comb, baby nail files (They grow FAST, those little nails), nail clippers, a rectal thermometer, nasal aspirator, record keeping book, for doctor’s appointments, etc.
A good baby monitor.
Sony makes the best of most everything, so those I highly recommend. The Graco I bought was $90, and not worth a cr^p (Pardon my french).
Newborn caps & booties
An Arm’s Reach Co-Sleeper,
is an invaluable item for mom’s of twins or singletons. If your budget allows, it makes an awesome gift.
Baby bassinet or moses basket w/ stand if possible.
Nipple cleaning brush, bottle sterilizer, or breast pump or accessories.
Gifts for bottle feeding, and breastfeeding mamas!
IF she is registered for car seats, you can choose to buy 1 or both,
BUT, make sure she has chosen the style, make, and model. That can be very important to a mother to be, that is why car seats and strollers, should only be purchased, if you know the mom’s desire, via conversation, or wish list, registry, etc.
I HIGHLY recommend infant seats, for the early months, (Up to the 1st year if possible), because with twins, you will want to make life as easy on yourself as humanly possible. I bought two Graco Snugrides 35, and LOVE THEM! They fit into them much longer & have more room to grow, and very comfy all around. Click below for a nice ‘Gender neutral color’.
Graco Snug Ride 35
If the babies are coming in fall or winter, Stroller and car seat covers make great gifts, and will keep babies cozy and warm
A LARGE diaper bag.
Since a woman’s taste can vary from one to another, it’s important to make sure she either really likes the bag design first, or has asked for it. If you are the sister of the twin mom, you may know her style to a tee. It’s definitely something she will need, and use A LOT!
*They are pricey, but well worth the cost, if you can afford it. We really couldn’t, but with all the usage, I talked hubby into it, and he’s even pleased we went with this brand. I HIGHLY recommend, JU- JU- BE brand. I own 2, one for real short trips and a HUGE bag for trips that are over a few hours time. They have a medium sized, if you want to go that route. The features are just AMAZING. You do get what you pay for, in a diaper bag, that’s for sure.*
A Double Snap & Go
(This should be in the top 10 really!)
All twin moms should have this for the beginning months, especially for small trips and errands. She will really enjoy the convenience of the light weight frame, portability, and not having to wake the babies for daily tasks. Plus, it’s very economical to start off with!
*Note To Guests Attending The Shower And/Or Mom, If She’s Reading This, Regarding Certain Age Sibling(s)*
IF there are siblings involved, please note, depending on their ages, all of these gifts coming home, with mom, for the babies, may be particularly hard on him/her, or them, so shower guests, please be aware of this, and if you are financially able, or even if it’s just a $2 item, pick up something for the older sibling(s). If not, mom make sure you have a few gifts wrapped up, and on hand, for your other children, when you return home from the shower, so they know they are special, included, and it’s not ALL about the babies. Kids can be very sensitive, and feel left out, so guests please take notice of that fact. It is easy to forget, but they do not.
When I got gifts in the mail, and when a friend would stop by with a gift for the babies, I tried to have something always on hand for my 5 year old. My teenager couldn’t care less, but she’s very sensitive, so be sure, and remember the other kids. A lot of people who gave me things, gave something also to her, but several did not, so I pretended the cards were for her, and would pull something out and say, ‘Oh look, and this is especially for you’. Definitely do do that, if people forget!
Twin Shower Party Ideas (Themes)
Decorating in everything TWO’S of course!
If you know the genders, a TON of blue for twin boys, pink for baby girls, and a mixture of pink and blue for a mixed duo.
Themes can include, double your pleasure, double your fun…double mint gum:)
Two monkeys, wearing double trouble onesies or tees. Have a monkeyin around great time.
Two peas in a pod, is a classic theme, and is perfect for the gender neutral duo
Perhaps a Mickey and Minnie Mouse theme for boy/girl twins.
2 little pumpkins or ghostlings, for twins being born around Halloween time.
Noah’s ark theme is always a big hit, especially if the mom has other children in her ark:)
Double Stuffed Oreos & Twix bars that come in packs of two, are also cute themes, for both boys AND girl twin pairs!
This website below, you may not only buy invitations, party favors, games, tableware, and more from, BUT you can read about some FREE baby shower game ideas, that you can all get together, on your own. Click links below:
Baby Shower Stuff + Free Game Ideas!
Everything Baby Shower!
Here are some popular and amazing places to register, IF you are the mother to be of twins!
2) Buy Buy Baby
6) Burlington Coat Factory
7) Pottery Barn
9) J.C. Penney
Well, I hope you enjoyed these gift and theme ideas for your twins, and all of the helpful links provided. Enjoy the shower, and thanks for stopping by Twinpossible.
This is Shelly, signing off!